Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spread the word to end the "r"-word

I have struggled with what to write on my posts on this main page of our site. Until we found this campaign to ban the word "retard or retarded" from our everyday lives. The campaign is being sponsored by Special Olympics and other organizations who work with children and adults with intellectual dissabilities. I have been guilty of slipping derogatory phrases such as "that was retarded" into my daily life. I have pledged, as well as Matt, to change our way of flipantly saying the r-word. I don't want my children saying or calling someone "stupid" just like I would hope to never, ever hear or want, someone to call my beautifully intelligant Ella Kate "RETARD"! Yes, she has Down Syndrome, Yes, she will need extra time. She IS able to learn, She IS able to grow and develop. She will change lives and influence others in the best of ways. Our hope and prayer is that Ella Kate has the same oportunities as people with out intellectual dissabilities. Please help us spread the word to end the R-word, and give respect and love to everyone with whom we come into contact. For more information on the campaign please visit the following link.
www.r-word.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment