Saturday, March 21, 2009
Happy World Down Syndrome Day
Today is World Down Syndrome Day. I would like to believe that in this day and age of "integration" and "politically correct-ness" that needing to educate the U. S. President about the intellectually disabled individuals' right to respect would be unnecessary. However, as I have discovered, even the most educated and intellectually able minded people still have room to learn. I was saddened to hear of our President's off-handed joke about the Special Olympics on Jay Leno the other night. And even more saddened by the laughter that it brought. Everyone can make mistakes, and I hope and pray that he will apologize publicly for his snafu. It hurts, and gives the wrong message to everyone, when someone in a role of leadership sets the wrong example. My daughter may have struggles and things she is unable to be "great" at, but some day with lots of practice, she will be a part of the Special Olympics where I know she will excel and learn to master her skills. I pray daily that Ella Kate will be able to teach the world about her potential. I know that God made her just as she is. And that she like, many others will teach us all about, determination, perseverance, respect, love and abilty. I am so proud of our future Olympian.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well said.
ReplyDeleteFound you through 5min.
I've had the President on my mind as well today and am writing an article about it right now as well.
Society has so far to go before it gets there.